Ask Your Congresspersons to Cosponsor HR 5577, Representative Kucinich’s Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act
Top 10 Reasons to Label Genetically Engineered Food
10. Almost all non-organic processed food or animal products in the U.S. today contain ingredients that come from genetically engineered crops or from animals given genetically engineered feed, vaccines or growth hormones.
9. Genetically engineered foods have not been tested to determine whether they are safe for human consumption.
8. Genetically engineered foods ARE different from conventional and organic foods.
7. A single serving of genetically engineered soy can result in “horizontal gene transfer,” where the bacteria in the human gut adopts the soy’s DNA.
6. Animals fed genetically engineered feed ARE different from animals fed conventional and organic feed.
5. The third generation of hamsters fed genetically engineered soy suffered slower growth, a high mortality rate, and a bizarre birth defect: fur growing in their mouths. Many also lost the ability to have pups.
4. The more genetically engineered corn fed to mice, the fewer babies they had and the smaller the babies were.
3. Biotech’s scattershot technique of spraying plant cells with a buckshot of foreign genes that hit chromosomes in random spots would trigger the expression of new allergens and change the character of plant proteins.
2. Scientists reviewing data from Monsanto’s own studies “have proven that genetically engineered foods are neither sufficiently healthy or proper to be commercialized.”
1. The Convention on Biodiversity recognizes that genetic engineering is a threat to amount and variety of life on the planet.
Enviroshop is maintained by dedicated NetSys Interactive Inc. owners & employees who generously contribute their time to maintenance & editing, web design, custom programming, & website hosting for Enviroshop.